Friday, December 22, 2006


Change and definition

Michel Foucault wrote in his Archeology of Knowledge

"Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same [...] Let us leave it to our bureaucrats and our police to see that our papers are in order."

I discovered this from a book called FOUCAULT. A Very Short Introduction. I guess the sentiment kind of overrules the very notion of writing a very short introduction, or indeed, any introduction.

In any case, I wanted to share this snippet of wisdom with the lonely abyss of cyberspace. It is a reminder that the act of definition is also an act of freezing something, that is, an act of violence. None of us wants to be reduced to a set of axioms.

Been listening to Keith Jarrett's new album while working, a set of solo improvisations on the piano. Improvisation if anything portrays one's appreciation to the fluidity of things of which Foucault so eloquently reminds us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home