Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A privileged meeting

Last week, I was invited to give a talk to a group of psychiatrists. The topic was knowledge interest, that is, why the practitioners of different branches of science seek knowledge. More specifically, I was looking at the tensions, experienced by psychiatric practitioners, between the technical interest of biological psychiatry, and the hermeneutical/dialogical views of therapeutical views. In my mind, this tension is not that different from that experienced by a management scholar, trying to tackle with the always-popular interest of organizational performance on one hand, and more interpretive approaches on the other.

The meeting was a privileged one for me, as it struck me how lucky I was to be invited to be sharing views with practitioners from such a worthwhile pursuit. There is an intense pleasure involved in the meeting of minds across genres and scientific discourses. It is also very touching to be invited, requested. This is a key notion to keep in mind in times of intense stress (read: November). The feeling of doing something worthwhile and being wanted should be the basic human right of everybody. I was reminded of this when I saw a poster on a Metro train station with the information that every other day a lonely elderly person commits suicide in Finland (see http://www.vanhuusilmanyksinaisyytta.fi/).

On the musical front: Brad Mehldau trio, Art of the trio, vol 3. He seems to play chess with himself. There is such an sense of invention and adventure in Mehldau's playing: a sense of an open road that can lead anywhere. And the fact that he is a virtuoso with amazing command of polyphonic lines does not hurt either.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Ing said...

I like Brad Mehldau, but have now limited myself to only listening to his original works. I'm getting tired of listening to "standards", even if the improviser is really good. I'm listening a lot to "Places" and "Largo".

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home