Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I recall a discussion we had with my classmates in high school about the life of a researcher. In our math book, there was a picture of a great finnish mathematician called Rolf Nevanlinna, who was instrumental in creating complex numbers. We were looking at the picture and one of my friends made a joke: "what would that guy's day be like?" Did he come to the office, grab his coffee, say good morning to his colleagues, sit at his desk and ask himself: "now, where was I?"

We all thought this was great fun, but in the end, how did we end up? Although none of us is a math genius, nor an scholar of international acclaim, the guy who made the joke is an independent AD. He comes to the office, asking himself: "innovation, innovation... Now how would I portray innovation..."

As an organizational researcher I literally come to the office most mornings, say good morning, grab a cop of coffee and start thinking: "now where was I? Temporal forms of agency and middle management involvement in strategy..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home