Saturday, April 12, 2008

On family, varieties of fauna and treetops

Having returned from my travels, it was time to spend some time with the kids and let Outi have a bit of peace and quiet. So, off we went. It was a beautiful morning and I grabbed my Nikon with a telephoto lens to let off some steam.

Our first stop was the beach - pulla and pillimehu (cinnamon rolls and straw-lemonade) all around. Then off to the beach.

A seagull...



a pair of ducks, bathing in light...



... and two examples of the mammalian, two-legged persuasion...



For some reason, I don't like to publish many pictures of family members and friends on my blog. I guess I feel that in most cases, it may be best to let them decide what to publish and what not when the time comes. However, I was struck by the notion of how much this blog may meet the tone of old men's biographies, discussing all sorts of anecdotes about colleagues and celebrities, brushing off family members with a slight nod. The Finnish pop group Ultra Bra once made a remark about Marshall Mannerheim's (the most celebrated Finn in Finland) memoirs:

"Olen lukenut muistelmiasi
en ymmärrä sinua lainkaan
kerrot sodista ja hevosista
vaimostasi on kaksi riviä
lapsistasi ei mitään"

"I've read your memoir
I can't figure you out
you go on about wars and horses
there are two lines about your wife
and nothing about your kids."

Now, there are two explanations: a) men take their families as granted; b) men leave their families out of memoirs out of respect.

Anyway, off we went to the playground. On the way, we saw some birds...

A robin, I think...



I have no idea what this yellow fellow is called, not to mention in English...



Another unidentified neighbor...



And another one...



This fellow I know - it's a badger!



Signs of spring...



I just realized that I have a thing about treetops. I seem to like photographing them. As a child, I created a bond with the tops of nearby trees, as they seemed to be faces. In a way, each treetop is unique, and defines the "personality" of the tree in question. This is retrospective sensemaking, looking at the endless number of treetops stored on our computer.





Of course I failed to take my camera when we talk a walk with Iivari at dusk. There were swans, Canadian geese and all sorts of weird aquatic birds abound, while the morning's variety had been more mundane. Well, I guess you just have to take my word for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Ing said...

Since I took up digital photography, I've tried to take more photos of my family, when we're together. Since I have four sons, there's unfortunately a drop-off in enthusiasm with the latter two as they've made post-toddler ages. My wife is now getting into digital photography, so we'll see if her family-oriented output compensates for us.

As a nit, you've probably been looking out for the Canada goose. To be real Canadians, they would probably need to be checked at immigration, and we can't seem to get them to cooperate at the borders.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home