Thursday, April 10, 2008



Back in Oxford

I closed my UK tour with a quick visit to Oxford. Arriving at around 10 PM, the Oxford I saw was a rather magical place. Walking to New College from the bus stop was like walking into a fairy tale.

During my last visit, I had forged a relationship with a magnolia tree, growing on the courtyard where the visitor's lodgings are. I was delighted to see it bathed in the warm glow of morning light.



Had a quick but productive meeting with Richard and a luxurious lunch at the college. Got a glimpse of Michael Dummett, one of the key figures in late 20th century analytical philosophy (an anti-realist) in the common room.
The New College gardens...



A quick snapshot of a spire, just for the sake of it...


And off to the bus stop I went.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Ing said...

I got to spend a relaxed Sunday in Oxford last September. The town is larger than could be seen on one day, and it's probable that a lot of places are closed on Sundays.

I'm not sure what it would be like to spend a longer period of time in Oxford. At the University of Toronto, colleges like Trinity, where I attended, were sometimes called "fake British". The colleges have architecture much like Oxford, but they're not nearly as old. The British empire in Toronto have been on the decline, with the migration of immigrants, so they're actually an (invisible) minority these days.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home