Thursday, June 21, 2007

Vampire love songs

I was browsing through the iPod again this morning on the bus. After a strange chain of leaps from Rainbow's "Stargazer" to Kenny Wheeler's "Nicolette", I ended up repeating the song "Forsaken" from Dream Theater's new album three times. It is unashamedly traditional prog metal, with a Tubular Bells -type 7/8 piano riff followed by some Rainbowish guitar riffing.

The best of all, the song is about vampires.

Vampire songs are an extremely valuable sub-genre in music, I think. The first song that comes to mind is "Moon over Bourbon Street" by Sting with phrases such as:

"It was many years ago that I became what I am
I was trapped in this life like an innocent lamb
Now I can only show my face at noon
And you'll only see me walking by the light of the moon
The brim of my hat hides the eye of a beast
I've the face of a sinner but the hands of a priest
Oh you'll never see my shade or hear the sound of my feet
While there's a moon over Bourbon Street"

Forsaken follows the same proud tradition. For some reason, I guess because people have the tendency to associate love with death, vampire songs are often love songs. John Petrucci, the guitarist from Dream Theater does not use Shakespeare language to make his point but assumes a more direct route:

"I waited faithfully
For night to fall again
Trying to silence the fear within me

Out of the night and mist
I felt a stinging kiss
And saw a crimson sting on her lips

I have to know your name
Where have I seen your face before
My dear why don't you be afraid

Forsaken
I have come for you tonight
Awaken
Look in my eyes and take my hand
Give yourself up to me"

With these rather trivial musings I would like to wish all friends and strangers a good midsummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home